This Hungarian pastry has always been a family favorite. The dough is rich and soft , and the layers of nuts and jam make a delicious filling. —Ron Roth Wyoming, Michigan Tip: Try using a floured pastry cloth when rolling out the dough. It makes placing the dough into the pan easier.
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups shortening
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups chopped walnuts, divided
- 1 jar (18 ounces) seedless strawberry jam
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks, sour cream, water and vanilla; gradually add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide into thirds. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Between two large sheets of waxed paper, roll out one portion of dough into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Transfer to an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with 1-1/4 cups walnuts and 2 tablespoons sugar. Roll out another portion of dough into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle; place over walnuts. Spread with jam; sprinkle with remaining walnuts and sugar.
- Roll out remaining pastry; cut into strips. Arrange in a crisscross pattern over filling. Trim and seal edges. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Hungarian Strawberry Pastry Bars in Taste of Home February/March 2007, p39
Reviews for Hungarian Strawberry Pastry Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review