- 4 medium potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 medium green peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Place potatoes and onions in a 3-qt. slow cooker. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides. Place over potato mixture.
- Pour off excess fat from skillet. Add water to the drippings, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan; heat through. Stir in the paprika, salt, caraway seeds, tomato paste and garlic. Pour into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Add green peppers and tomatoes; cover and cook 1 hour longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. With a slotted spoon, transfer meat and vegetables to a large serving bowl; cover and keep warm.
- Pour cooking juices into a small saucepan. Combine flour and cold water until smooth; gradually whisk into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; whisk in sour cream. Stir into meat mixture. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Hungarian Stew
Sort By :
I use boneless beef ribs for better flavor.
Perfect for a nice cold rainy nights dinner. It smells amazing, and is oh so yummy!
VERY GOOD FLAVOR AND SO EASY. I MAKE BIG BATCHES FOR CHURCH.
Low fat also means low taste. We watch our fat intake, but a comfort food dish needs real flavor. Keep these coming,good work.
To lower fat, use very lean beef and fry in pan sprayed with cooking spray instead of oil; substitute low fat or fat free sour cream for the regular sour cream.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Beef Stews >
- Dinner Recipes >
- German Dinner Recipes >
- German Recipes >
- German Stew Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Beef Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew >
- Slow Cooker Recipes >