Hungarian Short Ribs
Meet the Cook: This is a special meal in our house - as soon as I get ribs, I know which dish my family will ask me to make.
My husband and I have three children, ages 8, 6 and 3. So I've automatically learned to be a versatile cook!
-Joanne ShewChuk, St. Benedict, Saskatchewan
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Cooked wide noodles
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high. Brown ribs on all sides.
- Add onion; cook until tender. Combine all remaining ingredients
- except noodles; pour over ribs. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until
- the meat is tender, about 3 hours. Thicken gravy if desired. Serve
- over noodles. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 261 calories, 14 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 735 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 20 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet