Hungarian Nut Rolls Recipe
It isn't officially the holidays until I've made this treasured recipe from my husband's grandmother. The apple-walnut filling is moist, subtly sweet and flavorful. —Donna Bardocz, Howell, Michigan
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4-1/2 cups ground walnuts
- 1 large apple, peeled and grated
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the sugar, salt, butter, sour cream, eggs and 3 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, butter, egg and cinnamon. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat; gently stir in walnuts and apple. Cool completely.
- 4. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into four portions. Roll each into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal. Place seam side down on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine icing ingredients; drizzle over loaves. Yield: 4 loaves (12 slices each).
1 slice equals 222 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 87 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC