Hungarian Goulash Recipe
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 3 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Dash sugar
- 12 cups uncooked whole wheat egg noodles
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1. Place the onions, carrots and green peppers in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle meat with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil in batches. Transfer to slow cooker.
- 2. Add broth to skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Combine the flour, paprika, tomato paste, caraway seeds, garlic, sugar and remaining salt and pepper; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over meat. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until meat is tender.
- 3. Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions. Stir sour cream into slow cooker. Drain noodles; serve with goulash. Yield: 12 servings.
2/3 cup goulash with 1 cup noodles equals 388 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 285 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 31 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.