- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 3 pounds beef stew meat
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Dash sugar
- 12 cups uncooked whole wheat egg noodles
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- Place the onions, carrots and green peppers in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle meat with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil in batches. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add broth to skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Combine the flour, paprika, tomato paste, caraway seeds, garlic, sugar and remaining salt and pepper; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over meat. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until meat is tender.
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Stir sour cream into slow cooker. Drain noodles; serve with goulash. Yield: 12 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Hungarian Goulash
"I added diced tomatoes and cayenne pepper, and let the family add their Greek yogurt as they wished instead of blending it in."
"This recipe was bland for our taste."
"Good recipe. I halved the recipe and eliminated the olive oil..I am always trying to cut down on calories. this dish was very tasty without the oil."
"I used authentic hot hungarian paprika, doubled the beef broth and added potatoes. Less is more the the hot paprika. had to add 2 cups of sour cream to cool it down."
"I loved this. I ended up using a different kind of butcher cut. Not stew meat but maybe pot roast. It was wonderful."