Hungarian Chicken Recipe
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (about 3-1/2 pounds), cut up
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup tomato juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- 1. Combine flour, salt and pepper in a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- 2. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet. Add onion and cook until tender. Remove from pan and set aside. In the same skillet, melt remaining butter and brown chicken on all sides.
- 3. Combine tomato juice, paprika, sugar and salt; add to chicken. Add bay leaf, broth and onion. Cover and simmer 45-60 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- 4. Remove chicken to a platter; keep warm. Reduce heat to low, remove bay leaf and stir in sour cream. Heat through (do not boil). Pour sauce over chicken. Serve with noodles. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (12 ounces) equals 457 calories, 29 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 140 mg cholesterol, 774 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 35 g protein.
Reviews for Hungarian Chicken
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.