Hungarian Cabbage Bake Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds), cut up
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 medium cabbage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium tart apples, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Sprinkle chicken with paprika; brown on all sides. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, place cabbage in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 2. Cover tightly. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Arrange apples and onion over cabbage. Sprinkle with caraway, lemon peel and sugar. Top with chicken pieces. Cover; bake for 30 minutes or until chicken juices run clear and cabbage is tender. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese if desired. Return to the oven for 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (12 ounces) equals 595 calories, 34 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 162 mg cholesterol, 714 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 46 g protein.
Reviews for Hungarian Cabbage Bake
"This is an excellent fall recipe. I served it with buttered egg noodles. My husband & I both liked it a lot!"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.