When we had a bumper crop of cabbage a few years back, I searched for new cabbage entrees. I was delighted to find this one...and happy when my family said they loved it.
Recommended: 50 Best Comfort Foods from Around the World
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds), cut up
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 medium cabbage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium tart apples, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Sprinkle chicken with paprika; brown on all sides. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, place cabbage in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cover tightly. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Arrange apples and onion over cabbage. Sprinkle with caraway, lemon peel and sugar. Top with chicken pieces. Cover; bake for 30 minutes or until chicken juices run clear and cabbage is tender. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese if desired. Return to the oven for 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Hungarian Cabbage Bake in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p68
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Hungarian Cabbage Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 8, 2010
"This is an excellent fall recipe. I served it with buttered egg noodles. My husband & I both liked it a lot!"