Humpty-Dumpty Sandwich Loaf Recipe
When they were young, our three boys came to expect this loaf stuffed with egg and ham salad on Sunday evening. Folks will gobble it up whether you serve it hot or cold.
- 1 unsliced loaf (1 pound) Italian bread
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sweet pickle relish
- 4 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Pinch pepper
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced fully cooked ham
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted, optional
- 1. Slice off the top third of the loaf; set top aside. Hollow out the bottom of the loaf, leaving a 1-in. shell. Crumble part of the removed bread to measure 3/4 cup; set aside. (Discard remaining bread or save for another use.)
- 2. In a bowl, combine mayonnaise, relish, mustard, garlic and pepper. stir in eggs, celery, ham, onion and reserved bread. Stuff loaf; replace top.
- 3. To serve immediately, cut into 4-in. pieces. To serve hot, brush with butter; wrap in foil. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes. Yield: 4 servings.
1 piece: 613 calories, 27g fat (6g saturated fat), 237mg cholesterol, 1519mg sodium, 68g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 23g protein .
Reviews for Humpty-Dumpty Sandwich Loaf
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC