- 1 unsliced loaf (1 pound) Italian bread
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sweet pickle relish
- 4 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Pinch pepper
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced fully cooked ham
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted, optional
- Slice off the top third of the loaf; set top aside. Hollow out the bottom of the loaf, leaving a 1-in. shell. Crumble part of the removed bread to measure 3/4 cup; set aside. (Discard remaining bread or save for another use.)
- In a bowl, combine mayonnaise, relish, mustard, garlic and pepper. stir in eggs, celery, ham, onion and reserved bread. Stuff loaf; replace top.
- To serve immediately, cut into 4-in. pieces. To serve hot, brush with butter; wrap in foil. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Humpty-Dumpty Sandwich Loaf in Country Pork 1996, p27
Reviews for Humpty-Dumpty Sandwich Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review