- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 1-1/2 cups canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- PINEAPPLE FROSTING:
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup DOLE Canned Pineapple Juice
- 2 teaspoons half-and-half cream
- Chopped walnuts, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the bananas, oil, eggs, pineapple and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and cinnamon; gradually beat into banana mixture until blended. Stir in walnuts.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the shortening, butter, lemon peel and salt until fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar alternately with pineapple juice. Beat in cream. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with walnuts if desired. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Reviews for Hummingbird Cake
Sort By :
"Moist and wonderful if you love the flavor of bananas, nuts, and pineapple. I used a cream cheese frosting on it, and we loved it. Next time I will try the pineapple frosting. Made it for a potluck and everyone liked it. Because it was so tall, the layers tipped over once it was cut for the potluck. Next time I may try making it in a 13 x 9 pan."
"I baked this cake for the first time just to have something to go with our coffee in the morning. Since I wanted something for a coffee cake I did not frost it, I just left it plain. My husband loved it. It is very moist . I definitely will bake this cake again and will frost it with a cream cheese frosting."
"I'd made this cake before & used a 13x9x2" pan. I DID purposely use a can of cream cheese frosting instead of making the frosting in the recipe and it worked out very well! I'd baked this cake for our Chapel fellowship breaks and it was well received! Nancy Zimmerman, thank you for this recipe! Dawn E. Lowenstein"
"I made this for my husbands 50th birthday. The only change I added 3oz of cream cheese to the frosting."
"Love the cake recipe. Very moist and a great texture. We are not fans of icing made from shortening, so I made it with a cream cheese frosting with pineapple juice added to it."