Hummingbird Cake Recipe
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 1-1/2 cups canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- PINEAPPLE FROSTING:
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons half-and-half cream
- Chopped walnuts, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the bananas, oil, eggs, pineapple and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and cinnamon; gradually beat into banana mixture until blended. Stir in walnuts.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the shortening, butter, lemon peel and salt until fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar alternately with pineapple juice. Beat in cream. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with walnuts if desired. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Reviews for Hummingbird Cake(9)
Sort By :
I baked this cake for the first time just to have something to go with our coffee in the morning. Since I wanted something for a coffee cake I did not frost it, I just left it plain. My husband loved it. It is very moist . I definitely will bake this cake again and will frost it with a cream cheese frosting.
I'd made this cake before & used a 13x9x2" pan. I DID purposely use a can of cream cheese frosting instead of making the frosting in the recipe and it worked out very well! I'd baked this cake for our Chapel fellowship breaks and it was well received! Nancy Zimmerman, thank you for this recipe! Dawn E. Lowenstein
I made this for my husbands 50th birthday. The only change I added 3oz of cream cheese to the frosting.
Love the cake recipe. Very moist and a great texture. We are not fans of icing made from shortening, so I made it with a cream cheese frosting with pineapple juice added to it.
This cake was actually not very hard to make. (Although there is a lot of steps and is time consuming) Everyone at my party loved the cake. It is almost like a banana bread. I added bananas at last minute (so they didn't brown) to the top as a decoration. My only advice would be after you ice the cake make sure you keep it covered very well or the icing will dry out a bit. I think with or without the nuts would be great or substituting them for another kind.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Birthday Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Frosting >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Easter Desserts >
- Easter Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Frosting Recipes >