Huevos Rancheros Recipe
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 to 4 teaspoons seeded minced jalapeno pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Flour tortillas, warmed, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion, green pepper and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in tomatoes and seasonings; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Make six indentations in the tomato mixture with a spoon. Break eggs into indentations.
- 2. Cover and cook on low heat for 5 minutes or until eggs are set. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and cook until melted, about 1 minute. Serve with tortillas if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 197 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 233mg cholesterol, 311mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Reviews for Huevos Rancheros
"Huevos Rancheros, in one form or another, is our standard Sunday breakfast, serving the eggs and sauce over corn tortillas spread with refried beans. I think I would like this recipe better with more chiles and onions, and just one can of tomatoes, but that is personal preference."