Huckleberry Cheese Pie Recipe
To us Idahoans, huckleberries are a treasure! We've enjoyed this recipe a lot, and serve it as a "special treat" when we have out-of-state guests. —Pat Kuper, McCall, Idaho
- BUTTER CRUNCH CRUST:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- CHEESE FILLING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipped cream or 1 cup whipped topping
- FRUIT TOPPING:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups fresh huckleberries or blueberries, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1. In a bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and nuts. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Spread on baking sheet; bake at 400° for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Remove from oven. While mixture is still hot, press into a 9-in. pie plate forming a pie shell. Cool completely.
- 3. For cheese filling, beat cram cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth; gently fold in whipped cream. Pour or spoon filling into cooled crust; refrigerate.
- 4. For topping, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt in saucepan. Stir in water until smooth; add 1 cup berries. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add butter and remaining berries. Cool; pour over filling. Top with additional whipped cream if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 379 calories, 23 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 192 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC