Huckleberry Cheese Pie Recipe
To us Idahoans, huckleberries are a treasure! We've enjoyed this recipe a lot, and serve it as a "special treat" when we have out-of-state guests. —Pat Kuper, McCall, Idaho
- BUTTER CRUNCH CRUST:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- CHEESE FILLING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipped cream or 1 cup whipped topping
- FRUIT TOPPING:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups fresh huckleberries or blueberries, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- In a bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and nuts. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Spread on baking sheet; bake at 400° for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from oven. While mixture is still hot, press into a 9-in. pie plate forming a pie shell. Cool completely.
- For cheese filling, beat cram cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth; gently fold in whipped cream. Pour or spoon filling into cooled crust; refrigerate.
- For topping, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt in saucepan. Stir in water until smooth; add 1 cup berries. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add butter and remaining berries. Cool; pour over filling. Top with additional whipped cream if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Huckleberry Cheese Pie in Country June/July 1990, p49
Reviews for Huckleberry Cheese Pie(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review