My mom made this pie—never pumpkin—each Thanksgiving, and everyone looked forward to it. I have fond memories of my dad cutting up this hulking big blue hubbard squash on the kitchen counter and cooking it for her to make the pies. A more manageable butternut squash will deliver an equally delicate-tasting pie! —Patti Ann Christian, Ararat, North Carolina
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups mashed cooked Hubbard or butternut squash
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Sweetened whipped cream and additional nutmeg, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. Unroll pastry sheet into a 9-in. pie plate; flute edge. In a large bowl, whisk together egg, squash, milk, sugar, molasses, cornstarch and salt. Pour into pastry shell; sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Bake pie on a lower oven rack 10 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 325°; bake until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack; serve or refrigerate within 2 hours. If desired, top with sweetened whipped cream and additional ground nutmeg. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Hubbard Squash Pie in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2017, p98
Reviews for Hubbard Squash Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review