Howard's Sauerbraten Recipe
Cooking for family and friends is a favorite pastime. People always seem to look forward to this tender beef roast with traditional tangy gravy.—Howard Koch, Lima, Ohio
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups red wine vinegar
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 8 whole cloves
- 4 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1 beef rump roast or eye of round (about 3 pounds)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- GINGERSNAP GRAVY:
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup gingersnap crumbs (about 12 cookies)
- 1. In a 4-cup glass measure, combine the water and vinegar; pour half into a saucepan. Divide each of the vegetables and seasonings between both mixtures. Bring mixture in saucepan to a boil; cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate mixture in glass measure.
- 2. Place beef in a large resealable plastic bag; add cooled vinegar mixture and turn to coat. Place in a baking dish. Refrigerate for 2 days, turning occasionally.
- 3. Drain beef, discarding marinade and vegetables in bag; pat roast dry. In a Dutch oven, brown roast in butter on all sides. Add reserved vinegar mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 3 hours.
- 4. For gravy, remove roast and keep warm. Strain cooking liquid, discarding vegetables and seasonings. Measure 1-1/2 cups of the cooking liquid; add to saucepan. Add water and sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat. Add gingersnap crumbs; simmer until gravy thickens. Serve with roast. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC