- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups red wine vinegar
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 8 whole cloves
- 4 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1 beef rump roast or eye of round (about 3 pounds)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- GINGERSNAP GRAVY:
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup gingersnap crumbs (about 12 cookies)
- In a 4-cup glass measure, combine the water and vinegar; pour half into a saucepan. Divide each of the vegetables and seasonings between both mixtures. Bring mixture in saucepan to a boil; cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate mixture in glass measure.
- Place beef in a large resealable plastic bag; add cooled vinegar mixture and turn to coat. Place in a baking dish. Refrigerate for 2 days, turning occasionally.
- Drain beef, discarding marinade and vegetables in bag; pat roast dry. In a Dutch oven, brown roast in butter on all sides. Add reserved vinegar mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 3 hours.
- For gravy, remove roast and keep warm. Strain cooking liquid, discarding vegetables and seasonings. Measure 1-1/2 cups of the cooking liquid; add to saucepan. Add water and sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat. Add gingersnap crumbs; simmer until gravy thickens. Serve with roast. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Howard's Sauerbraten
"I made this recipe years ago when it was first in TOH and absolutely loved the flavor and it was so tender. So happy to have found it again."
"I made this back in '94 when it was published for my then boyfriend (now husband) and we both thought it was excellent. You definitely must plan ahead (see recipe) but the end result is worth the wait."