Pesto in 2 Easy Steps
- Add ingredients from your pesto recipe (found below) to the food processor. Run until coarsely chopped.
- While processor is running, slowly add a pencil-thin stream of olive oil through the food chute.
5 Ways to Use Pesto
- Toss with pasta or roasted vegetables
- For a simple yet delicious appetizer, spread on toasted baguette slices
- Blend with mayonnaise for a flavorful sandwich spread
- Mix into mashed potatoes, meat loaf, casseroles or salads
- Coat your favorite meat or fish with pesto, dip into bread crumbs and pan-fry; or stuff pesto into chicken breasts, steak or burgers
4 Pesto Recipes
Place 4 cups loosely packed basil leaves, 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, 2 garlic cloves, halved, 1/4 tsp. salt in a food processor; cover and pulse until chopped. Add 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts; cover and process until blended. While processing, gradually add 1/2 cup olive oil in a steady stream.
Place 1 cup cilantro, 1/4 cup each grated Parmesan cheese and walnuts in a food processor; cover and pulse until chopped. Add 2 tablespoons lime juice; cover and process until blended. While processing, gradually add 1/2 cup olive oil in a steady stream.
Place 2 cooked, seeded poblano peppers and 1 cooked jalapeno pepper in food processor; cover and pulse until smooth. Add 1/4 cup sliced almonds and 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese; cover and process until blended. While processing, gradually add 1/2 cup olive oil in a steady stream. Salt and pepper to taste.
Black & Green Olive Pesto
In a food processor, combine 1 cup each of black and pimento-stuffed green olives with 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, 2 garlic cloves and 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil. Pulse until finely chopped.
Recipes Using Pesto
Fresh Tomato Tart
This Fresh Tomato Tart
is best with fresh-from-the-garden tomatoes. It's so pretty to the eye and tastes fabulous!
—Julie Ferron, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
Party Pesto Pinwheels
I took a couple of my favorite recipes and combined them into these delicious Party Pesto Pinwheels hors d'oeuvres. The colorful and impressive snacks come together easily with refrigerated crescent roll dough, prepared pesto sauce and a jar of roasted red peppers.
—Kathleen Farrell Rochester, New York
Our Test Kitchen created these savory Pesto Breadsticks flavored with garlic pepper and pesto. Whether you serve them with soup, salad or even a pasta supper, these cute twists add fun to any menu.
—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
Three Cheese Pesto Pizza
With a ready-made crust, this Three Cheese Pesto Pizza can be on a serving tray in half an hour. The triple cheese blend will make these slices go fast.
—Pat Stevens, Granbury, Texas