Give bakeries and coffee shops a run for their money. DIY bagels taste just as good, cost less and are often better for you. The reason's simple: Making bagels at home lets you control the ingredients and portion size, so you end up with custom-made bagels sized right for a healthy diet.
Homemade bagels are just four steps away: Make dough; shape; boil; bake.
1. Shape dough into balls. Push your thumb through the center of the dough, forming a 1-in. hole.
2. Stretch and shape dough to form an even ring.
After bagels have boiled, remove them from water with a slotted spoon. Drain well on paper towels.
Secrets to Bread-Machine Bagel Success
- Let all liquid ingredients come to room temp (70° to 80°).
- Measure accurately and add ingredients in the order your machine's manufacturer suggests.
- Check dough after 5 minutes of mixing. It should feel smooth, soft and slightly tacky. If it's moist or sticky, add 1 Tbsp. of flour and check again after a few more minutes. If it's dry and crumbly, add 1 Tbsp. of liquid, then check again.
For bagel recipes and baking instructions:
More How to Cook Techniques >