Hot Vegetable Plate Recipe
A creamy mustard sauce adds spark to an interesting lineup of vegetables in this perfect fall side dish. I always receive compliments with this special presentation. — Julie Polakowski, West Allis, Wisconsin
- 1 medium kohlrabi
- 1 medium turnip
- 1 small rutabaga
- 4 medium carrots, halved crosswise
- 4 medium leeks (white portion only), sliced
- 12 fresh cauliflowerets
- MUSTARD SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- Pinch pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1. Peel kohlrabi, turnip and rutabaga; cut into 1/4-in. slices. Halve the kohlrabi and turnip slices; quarter the rutabaga slices. Place all vegetables in a large saucepan and cover with water; cook until crisp-tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan; stir in flour. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add salt if desired and pepper. Gradually add milk; cook and stir until mixture boils. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in mustard.
- 3. Drain vegetables; serve with warm mustard sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup: 152 calories, 6g fat (0g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 146mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 4g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Hot Vegetable Plate
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC