Hot Vegetable Plate Recipe
- 1 medium kohlrabi
- 1 medium turnip
- 1 small rutabaga
- 4 medium carrots, halved crosswise
- 4 medium leeks (white portion only), sliced
- 12 fresh cauliflowerets
- MUSTARD SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- Pinch pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1. Peel kohlrabi, turnip and rutabaga; cut into 1/4-in. slices. Halve the kohlrabi and turnip slices; quarter the rutabaga slices. Place all vegetables in a large saucepan and cover with water; cook until crisp-tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan; stir in flour. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add salt if desired and pepper. Gradually add milk; cook and stir until mixture boils. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in mustard.
- 3. Drain vegetables; serve with warm mustard sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving with 2 tablespoons sauce (prepared with margarine and skim milk and without salt) equals 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat; also, 152 calories, 146 mg sodium, 1 mg cholesterol, 22 gm carbohydrate, 4 gm protein, 6 gm fat.