If you're looking for a deliciously different entree, try Hot Turkey Sandwiches suggested by Janice Bilek of Holland, Michigan. Her version has tender shredded turkey in a basil cream sauce. "The sandwiches are a nice change of pace from turkey in traditional gravy," Janice says.
Featured In: Slow Cooker Sandwich Recipes
- 3 bone-in turkey breasts (6 to 7 pounds each)
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 cups thinly sliced green onions
- 1-1/2 cups butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 to 4 tablespoons dried basil
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 50 sandwich rolls, split
- Preheat oven to 325°. Place turkey on racks in roasting pans. Bake, uncovered, 2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 170°, basting several times with pan drippings. Cover and let stand 10 minutes. Shred turkey.
- In several Dutch ovens or large pans, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour, basil, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Add the turkey and heat through. Stir in cream; cook until heated through. Spoon 1/2 cup onto each roll. Yield: 50 servings.
Originally published as Hot Turkey Sandwiches in Taste of Home April/May 2001, p54
Reviews for Hot Turkey Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 23, 2013
"Very popular with gatherings of friends"
Reviewed Jun. 8, 2009
"I've made this recipe several times and it is absoutely yummy! I usually cut it in thirds, cooking just one turkey breast and 1/3 the other ingredients."