Hot Turkey Sandwiches Recipe
If you're looking for a deliciously different entree, try Hot Turkey Sandwiches suggested by Janice Bilek of Holland, Michigan. Her version has tender shredded turkey in a basil cream sauce. "The sandwiches are a nice change of pace from turkey in traditional gravy," Janice says.
- 3 bone-in turkey breasts (6 to 7 pounds each)
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 cups thinly sliced green onions
- 1-1/2 cups butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 to 4 tablespoons dried basil
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 50 sandwich rolls, split
- Place turkey on racks in roasting pans. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 170°, basting several times with pan drippings. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Shred turkey.
- In several Dutch ovens or large pans, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour, basil, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Add the turkey and heat through. Stir in cream; cook until heated through. Spoon 1/2 cup onto each roll. Yield: 50 servings.
Originally published as Hot Turkey Sandwiches in Taste of Home April/May 2001, p54
Reviews for Hot Turkey Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 23, 2013
Very popular with gatherings of friends
Reviewed Jun. 8, 2009
I've made this recipe several times and it is absoutely yummy! I usually cut it in thirds, cooking just one turkey breast and 1/3 the other ingredients.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Mushroom Sandwiches >
- Potluck Dinner Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Roasted Turkey >
- Sandwiches >
- Taste of Home Magazine Dinner Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >