Hot Swiss Chicken Sandwiches
I've been making these open-faced sandwiches for years, and people always ask for the recipe. I sometimes serve the filling on slices of sourdough or tucked into pitas. Edith Tabor of Vancouver, Washington
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups diced cooked chicken breast
- 2/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 4 teaspoons butter, softened
- 6 slices Italian bread (about 3/4 inch thick)
- 6 slices tomato
- 3/4 cup shredded lettuce
- In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, salt and lemon juice. Stir
- in the chicken, celery and cheese. Spread butter on each slice of
- bread; top each with 1/3 cup chicken mixture.
- Place in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Broil 4-6 in. from the
- heat for 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Top with tomato and
- lettuce. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One sandwich equals 218 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 438 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 17 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.