Hot Spinach Spread with Pita Chips Recipe
This warm, cheesy spread is absolutely scrumptious served on the toasted pita wedges. And its colorful appearance makes it perfect for the upcoming holidays. —Teresa Emanuel, Smithville, Missouri
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 6 pita breads (6 inches)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.
- 2. Meanwhile, cut each pita bread into eight wedges. Place in two 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans. Combine the butter, lemon-pepper, cumin and garlic salt; brush over pita wedges.
- 3. Bake for 7-9 minutes or until crisp. Serve with spinach spread. Yield: 16 servings (4 cups spread).
1/4 cup spread with 3 pita wedges equals 231 calories, 16 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 381 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC