Hot Spinach Spread with Pita Chips Recipe
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 6 pita breads (6 inches)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.
- 2. Meanwhile, cut each pita bread into eight wedges. Place in two 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans. Combine the butter, lemon-pepper, cumin and garlic salt; brush over pita wedges.
- 3. Bake for 7-9 minutes or until crisp. Serve with spinach spread. Yield: 16 servings (4 cups spread).
1 each: 231 calories, 16g fat (10g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 381mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein
Reviews for Hot Spinach Spread with Pita Chips
"I made this last week, and I just re-read the recipe before writing the review... I knew I had changed fresh jalapenos for ground dried chipotle (maybe 1/4 teaspoon), but I didn't realize I had completely forgotten the two cups of grated cheese! I omitted the onion because I only had 10 minutes to heat it in the microwave. Apparently it didn't matter that much; everyone seemed to like it! I couldn't get the lemon pepper mixture to stick to the pita triangles; they all fell off and stayed in the bowl, but that didn't seem to matter either. I also buttered some sliced french bread and sprinkled it with garlic and parsley and toasted it with the pita bread, and they were all eaten too. Maybe I didn't exactly make THIS recipe, but I did use it as a starting point. Thanks!"
"The spinach spread was very good but I agree the Pita chips are the star attraction with this recipie.!"
"This was a hit at our recent family potluck. I bought pita chips, but I'll make them next time."
"This recipe was very tasty, but the pita chips were outrageous. Loved them. I took this dish to a get together and everyone liked the dip but raved about the pita chips. What a delicious flavor. YUM...."
"Oh so good! I used reduced fat Monterey Jack cheese and fat free cream cheese and nobody noticed. I didn't make the pita chips...we just used regular pita bread and crackers.~ Theresa"
"I have not made this dip yet. 2 questions please: 1)Could I sub. fresh spinach from my garden for the frozen? 1) How much of the fresh spinach would I substitute for the 10 ozs. of frozen?"
"We loved it. However, we didn't realize we should have separated the pita wedges in half."
"I revised this recipe a little and served it with flour tortilla chips and I really enjoyed it."