Hot Spinach Apple Salad Recipe
This salad is just lightly coated in a sweet-tangy dressing so the spinach doesn't wilt and the apples retain their crunch. We especially like this salad served with homemade bread.—Denise Albers, Freeburg, Illinois
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 9 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 large red apples, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- 2. In the same skillet, combine the vinegar, brown sugar and reserved drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Cool slightly.
- 3. In a large salad bowl, combine the spinach, apples, onion and bacon. Drizzle with warm dressing; toss to coat. Serve immediately. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 127 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 123 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC