Hot Spinach Apple Salad Recipe
- 6 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, diced
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 9 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 unpeeled large red apples, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- 2. In same skillet, combine vinegar, brown sugar and reserved drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Cool slightly.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a serving bowl, combine spinach, apples, onion and bacon. Drizzle with warm dressing; toss to coat. Serve immediately. Yield: 10 servings.
1 serving: 117 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 135mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Hot Spinach Apple Salad
"Love it! Great flavor."
"I used turkey bacon, which doesn't have a lot of "drippings" because it's lower in fat, so I added a little olive oil to the skillet to make up for it in the dressing. I also used less cider vinegar because I like my dressing more sweet than tangy. Yum!"