Hot Spiced Wine
My friends, family and I enjoy this spiced wine during cold-winter gatherings. This warm drink will be especially pleasing to people who enjoy dry red wines.—Noel Lickenfelt, Bolivar, Pennsylvania
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 bottles (750 milliliters each) dry red wine
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Place cinnamon sticks and cloves on a double thickness of
- cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose seasonings; tie
- securely with string.
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine remaining ingredients. Add spice bag.
- Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until heated through. Discard
- spice bag. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 232 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 7 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.