Hot Roll Mix Recipe
- 10 cups (2-1/2 pounds) bread flour
- 3/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR DOUGH:
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup bread flour
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR CINNAMON ROLLS:
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, milk powder, sugar and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 4 batches (about 13-1/3 cups total).
- 2. To prepare dough for dinner rolls or cinnamon rolls: Contents of mix may settle during storage. When preparing recipe, spoon mix into measuring cup. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add egg and 3-1/3 cups hot roll mix; beat until smooth. Add enough bread flour to form a soft dough.
- 3. Turn on a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. For dinner rolls: Punch the dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 12 pieces; shape each into a ball. Place 2-in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 1 dozen rolls per batch.
- 6. For cinnamon rolls: Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll onto a 15-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Spread butter to within 1/2-in. of edges. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over butter.
- 7. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 1-1/2-in. slices. Place cut side down in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 8. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. For glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to reach desired consistency; drizzle over rolls. Yield: 1 dozen rolls per batch.
Editor's Note: Contents of mix may settle during storage. When preparing recipe, spoon mix into measuring cup.
1 each: 146 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 237mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Hot Roll Mix
"I have been using this mix several times a month for the last 3 years. It is excellent and very, very easy! I use it to make dinner rolls, cinnamon rolls, hamburger buns, hot cross buns and more. I intend to sell jars of the mix at a bake sale later this month. I did make a change though. I increased the amount of sugar, dry milk & Crisco to 1 c. instead of 3/4 c. I liked the sweeter dough. I would give it 10 stars if I could. Try it - you can't go wrong with this recipe.- Joan in Illinois"