Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches
These sandwiches always make a big hit. The cooking in our area of western Pennsylvania represents a "melting pot" of Italian, Polish and Pennsylvania Dutch (German), so there's a variety of good foods to choose from.
20 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 3-1/2 hours
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 beef sirloin tip roast (5 pounds)
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon ground thyme
- 1 to 3 teaspoons crushed dried red pepper
- Bread or rolls of your choice
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Brown roast on all
- sides. Add remaining ingredients except rolls; cover and simmer
- until the roast is tender, about 3-1/2 to 4 hours. Add additional
- water, if necessary, to keep roast simmering in broth.
- Remove meat from broth and reserve broth. Let the meat stand 20
- minutes. Trim any fat and thinly slice meat. When ready to serve,
- reheat sliced beef in broth. Serve on rolls. Yield: about 20
Nutritional Facts: 1/20 recipe (calculated w/o bread) equals 129 calories, 5 g fat (0 saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 126 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 18 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1/2 vegetable.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot