Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches Recipe
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 beef sirloin tip roast (5 pounds)
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon ground thyme
- 1 to 3 teaspoons crushed dried red pepper
- Bread or rolls of your choice
- 1. In a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Brown roast on all sides. Add remaining ingredients except rolls; cover and simmer until the roast is tender, about 3-1/2 to 4 hours. Add additional water, if necessary, to keep roast simmering in broth.
- 2. Remove meat from broth and reserve broth. Let the meat stand 20 minutes. Trim any fat and thinly slice meat. When ready to serve, reheat sliced beef in broth. Serve on rolls. Yield: about 20 sandwiches.
1/20 recipe (calculated w/o bread) equals 129 calories, 5 g fat (0 saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 126 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 18 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1/2 vegetable.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.