Hot Pepper Jelly
We enjoy this fiery pepper spread on crackers with cream cheese. It also makes a terrific holiday gift. For a milder flavor and different color, substitute a green bell pepper, jalapeno peppers for the habaneros and green food coloring.
80 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Process: 5 min.
- 1-1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into wedges
- 2/3 cup chopped habanero peppers
- 6 cups sugar, divided
- 2 pouches (3 ounces each) liquid fruit pectin
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring, optional
- Cream cheese and crackers
- Place vinegar and peppers in a blender; cover and puree. Add 2 cups
- sugar; blend well. Pour into a saucepan. Stir in the remaining
- sugar; bring to a boil. Strain mixture and return to pan. Stir in
- pectin and food coloring if desired. Return to a rolling boil over
- high heat. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat; skim off foam. Carefully ladle hot mixture into
- hot sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air
- bubbles, wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 5 minutes in a
- boiling-water canner.
- Serve with cream cheese on crackers. Yield: 5 half-pints.
Editor's Note: When cutting hot peppers, disposable gloves are recommended. Avoid touching your face. The processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. Add 1 minute to the processing time for each 1,000 feet of additional altitude.