Hot Pepper Jelly Recipe
We enjoy this fiery pepper spread on crackers with cream cheese. It also makes a terrific holiday gift. For a milder flavor and different color, substitute a green bell pepper, jalapeno peppers for the habaneros and green food coloring.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Process: 5 min. YIELD:80 servings
- 1-1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into wedges
- 2/3 cup chopped habanero peppers
- 6 cups sugar, divided
- 2 pouches (3 ounces each) liquid fruit pectin
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring, optional
- Cream cheese and crackers
- 1. Place vinegar and peppers in a blender; cover and puree. Add 2 cups sugar; blend well. Pour into a saucepan. Stir in the remaining sugar; bring to a boil. Strain mixture and return to pan. Stir in pectin and food coloring if desired. Return to a rolling boil over high heat. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 2. Remove from the heat; skim off foam. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles, wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 5 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
- 3. Serve with cream cheese on crackers. Yield: 5 half-pints.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC