- 1-1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into wedges
- 2/3 cup chopped habanero peppers
- 6 cups sugar, divided
- 2 pouches (3 ounces each) liquid fruit pectin
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring, optional
- Cream cheese and crackers
- Place vinegar and peppers in a blender; cover and puree. Add 2 cups sugar; blend well. Pour into a saucepan. Stir in the remaining sugar; bring to a boil. Strain mixture and return to pan. Stir in pectin and food coloring if desired. Return to a rolling boil over high heat. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat; skim off foam. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles, wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 5 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
- Serve with cream cheese on crackers. Yield: 5 half-pints.
Reviews for Hot Pepper Jelly
"Just made three pints and 11 half pints. We added carrots and peaches and didn't strain it or add food coloring ."
"We have bought this jelly at our local farmers market. So good. Put in on cream cheese in little phyllo shells topped with jelly. Went really quickly. Also saw a recipe with brie and wrapped in puff pastry. So pretty. Have found several recipes for this any plan to make my own"
"Proportions are al wrong. No need to strain. Instructions are terrible."
"I have made this two times now and both times I have requests for more! YUMMY! Wear gloves and a mask though when making. Fumes can be a little over whelming."
"good recipe, good flavor, the only difference I made was to use only one packet of liquid pectin per recipe. No difference in gelling so will continue to make this but with half as much pectin."