Hot Mushroom Dip
"I've whipped up this dip for many potlucks and special gatherings, and it's always well received," says Ellen Derflinger of Jefferson, Maryland. Serve this thick hearty spread with crackers, or let it bring new life to a veggie tray.
16 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Assorted raw vegetables or crackers
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove
- bacon to paper towels. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. In
- the drippings, saute mushrooms and onion until tender. Add garlic;
- cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper; cook and
- stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat. Add the cream cheese, sour cream, Worcestershire sauce
- and soy sauce; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Stir in bacon.
- Serve warm with vegetables or crackers. Yield: 2 cups.