While my husband was in the Army, I'd get together with other wives for snacks and to exchange favorite recipes. I still enjoy serving this rich spread because most guests can't quite put their finger on the zippy ingredient—horseradish. —Naomi Francis, Waukesha, Wisconsin
Recommended: The 99 Most American Recipes Ever
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts or blanched almonds
- 2 teaspoons butter
- Assorted crackers
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese and milk until smooth. Stir in sour cream, horseradish, green pepper, onion, garlic salt and pepper. Spoon into an ungreased shallow 2-cup baking dish; set aside.
- In a skillet, saute the nuts in butter for 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle over the cream cheese mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes. Serve with cracker. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Hot Macadamia Spread in Taste of Home October/November 1997, p29