Hot Lips Cookies Recipe
I love recipes with contrasting flavors—like these sweet refrigerator cookies with a subtle "kick" from Cayenne. —Gena Stout, Ravenden, AR
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch YIELD:84 servings
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped cashews
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cayenne and pepper; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in cashews (dough will be crumbly). Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- 2. Shape into four 8-in. logs; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour longer or until firm.
- 3. Unwrap dough; gently cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 12-16 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 7 dozen.
1 cookie equals 72 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 32 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC