Hot Italian Roast Beef Sandwiches Recipe
These sandwiches always make a big hit when they are served! The cooking in our area of western Pennsylvania represents a "melting pot" of Italian, Polish and Pennsylvania Dutch (German), so there's a variety of foods to choose from.
- 1 beef sirloin tip roast (5 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 to 3 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 20 sandwich buns, split
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, brown roast in butter on all sides. Stir in the tomatoes, water, thyme, pepper flakes and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until meat is tender, adding more water if necessary.
- Remove roast and reserve cooking juices. Let stand for 15 minutes; trim any fat and thinly slice meat. To serve, reheat sliced beef in cooking juices. Serve on sandwich buns. Yield: 20 sandwiches.
Originally published as Hot Italian Roast Beef Sandwiches in Country April/May 1991, p47
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Hot Italian Roast Beef Sandwiches(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Sandwich Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >