Hot Italian Patties Recipe
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 8 slices Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- 8 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1. In a saucepan, combine the tomato sauce, basil, pepper flakes and garlic powder. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer for 15 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, shape sausage into four thin oval patties. In a skillet over medium heat, cook patties until no longer pink; remove and keep warm.
- 3. In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Place a slice of cheese on four slices of bread; layer each with a sausage patty, onion and remaining cheese. Top with remaining bread. Butter the outsides of sandwiches.
- 4. On a griddle or in a large skillet, toast over medium heat until both sides are golden brown and cheese is melted. Serve with herbed tomato sauce for dipping. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 994 calories, 60 g fat (26 g saturated fat), 150 mg cholesterol, 2,164 mg sodium, 75 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 37 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.