Hot Italian Ham Subs
“I got the idea for Hot Italian Ham Subs when I tried to duplicate a delicious deli sandwich I'd enjoyed while traveling,” says Leann Hillmer of Sylvan Grove, Kansas. Fresh tomato and basil add color and flavor to Leann's hearty recipe.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 submarine buns, split
- 12 slices deli ham
- 12 slices tomato
- 12 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- 4 slices sweet onion, halved
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- In a small bowl, whisk the first seven ingredients. Generously
- drizzle dressing over cut sides of buns.
- On bun bottoms, layer the ham, tomato and mozzarella cheese. On bun
- tops, layer the basil leaves, onion and provolone cheese. Place on a
- baking sheet.
- Broil 6-8 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is
- melted. Place bun tops over bottoms; serve immediately. Yield: 4