Hot Ham and Pineapple Sub Recipe
"I love homemade ham and pineapple pizza, but I don't care to make the pizza crust," relates Julie Valdez of Walnut Hill, Florida. "So I came up with this sub sandwich that has the same flavors but it a snap to put together."
- 1 tube (11 ounces) refrigerated crusty French loaf
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 can (8 ounces) Ragú® Homemade Style Pizza Sauce, divided
- 1/3 pound sliced deli ham
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Place the French loaf dough seam side down on a lightly greased baking sheet. With a sharp knife, cut six slashes, about 1/2 in. deep, on top of dough. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the oil, Italian seasoning and garlic salt; brush over hot bread. Cool on a wire rack for 8 minutes.
- 3. Split bread in half lengthwise. Hollow out bottom half, leaving a 1/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- 4. Spread 2-3 tablespoons of pizza sauce over shell; top with the ham, pineapple and cheese. Replace bread top. Bake for 6-8 minutes or until cheese is melted. Heat the remaining pizza sauce; serve with sandwich. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 279 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 813 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 13 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC