Hot German Rice Salad Recipe
This area has a long rice-growing history. In fact, our town has two of the largest farmer-owned rice mills in the country, so I like to use rice in lots of recipes.
- 8 bacon strips
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped pimientos
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 3-1/2 cups hot cooked rice
- 1 hard-cooked egg, sliced
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 1/3 cup drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside. Add the sugar, vinegar, celery seed and pepper to drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in pimientos, green pepper, onion, rice and bacon. Garnish with egg. Serve warm. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Hot German Rice Salad in Country August/September 1998, p49
Reviews for Hot German Rice Salad(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review