Hot German Rice Salad
This area has a long rice-growing history. In fact, our town has two of the largest farmer-owned rice mills in the country, so I like to use rice in lots of recipes.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 8 bacon strips
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped pimientos
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 3-1/2 cups hot cooked rice
- 1 Eggland's Best Hard-Cooked Peeled Egg, sliced
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Drain,
- reserving 1/3 cup drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside. Add the
- sugar, vinegar, celery seed and pepper to drippings. Bring to a
- boil; cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in pimientos, green pepper,
- onion, rice and bacon. Garnish with egg. Serve warm. Yield: 4-6
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 351 calories, 19 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 234 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.