Hot German Potato Salad Recipe
Meet the Cook: Being single (I'm in my 27th year as a teacher), I enjoy sharing favorite dishes at church and family potlucks. This one has won raves whenever I've served it. I've also found it makes a good lunch that's better the second time around! -Inez Senner, Glendive, Montana
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:12-14 servings
- 9 medium potatoes
- 1-1/2 pounds smoked sausage or Johnsonville® Original Bratwurst
- 6 bacon strips
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1. In a saucepan, cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, cut sausage into 1/2-in. slices; saute in a skillet until browned. Drain and place in a large bowl. Drain potatoes; peel and cut into 3/4-in. cubes. Add sausage; keep warm.
- 3. Cook bacon until crisp; crumble and set aside. Drain all but 3 tablespoons of drippings; saute onion in drippings until tender. Stir in the flour, salt, celery seed and pepper; blend well. Add sugar, water and vinegar; bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes.
- 4. Pour over potato mixture and stir gently to coat. Sprinkle with bacon. Serve warm. Yield: 12-14 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 337 calories, 19 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 798 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC