Hot German Potato Salad Recipe
- 9 medium potatoes
- 1-1/2 pounds smoked sausage or fully cooked bratwurst links
- 6 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1. In a saucepan, cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, cut sausage into 1/2-in. slices; saute in a skillet until browned. Drain and place in a large bowl. Drain potatoes; peel and cut into 3/4-in. cubes. Add sausage; keep warm.
- 3. Cook bacon until crisp; crumble and set aside. Drain all but 3 tablespoons of drippings; saute onion in drippings until tender. Stir in the flour, salt, celery seed and pepper; blend well. Add sugar, water and vinegar; bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes.
- 4. Pour over potato mixture and stir gently to coat. Sprinkle with bacon. Serve warm. Yield: 12-14 servings.
1 each: 337 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 798mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Reviews for Hot German Potato Salad
"I was pleasantly surprised when I made this for my granddaughter's class. Every time I have tried this from friends I did not care for it. This recipe actually very good."
"I love German potato salad, and this recipe does not disappoint. The only change I made was to leave out the celery seed (not a favorite ingredient). Try it!!"