- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons baking cocoa, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-3/4 cups hot water
- Ice cream or whipped cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, 2 tablespoons cocoa, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk milk, oil and vanilla until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened.
- Transfer to an ungreased 9-in.-square baking pan. In a small bowl, mix brown sugar and remaining cocoa; sprinkle over batter. Pour hot water over all; do not stir.
- Bake 35-40 minutes. Serve warm. If desired, top with ice cream. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Hot Fudge Cake
"Made this for our daughter's Birthday party ( we are all dieting ). Everyone loved it. Most comments were, "Doesn't taste lo cal" and "It's not too sweet". This is a keeper! Very easy to make, however.......it boiled over like a fruit pie and made a mess of my oven, AND set off the smoke detector. Next time I'll put a pan or foil under it in the oven."
"My mom made this for dessert last night. She said it was very easy to make and she had all of the ingredients already on hand. Everyone liked it. My sister thought it was very rich and chocolatey. I personally thought it could have had more of a chocolate flavor. It was good, especially warm with vanilla ice cream!"
"I have made this many times since 1994, and it is always a hit! I prefer it topped with Cool Whip or Half & Half. This gives me my chocolate fix!"
"I made this recipe for the first time! I used 1/2 tsp. salt! I used 1/2 cup evaporated milk which I soured with 1 Tbsp. cider vinegar. I sifted the flour, sugar, 2 Tbsp. baking cocoa, the baking powder and 1/2 tsp. salt together! I combined the brown sugar with remaining cocoa & kept the oil, vanilla and hot water the same amounts. I purposely greased and floured the baking pan for easier removal of cake. This recipe is JUST WONDERFUL! It is so easy to assemble! I baked 40 minutes at 350o F. and the cake tested done!Thank you, Vera Reid, for this recipe! It's a KEEPER for me! delowenstein"
"This is a perfect self saucing cake. So easy to make, and a hit with everyone. Great even without ice cream! Eating it cold as leftovers reminds me of cake with pudding drizzled on top. 5 star!"