Hot Fruit Compote
This simple-to-prepare compote is a tasty way to get fruit into your meal when fresh fruit is not plentiful. Perfect with ham, pork, chicken or turkey, this dish can also help to stretch a meal when guests pop in.
12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1 can (12 ounces) frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 pounds apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 can (16-1/2 ounces) pitted Bing cherries, drained
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 package (6 ounces) dried apricots, cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup white wine, optional
- In a large bowl, combine orange juice concentrate and cornstarch;
- stir until smooth. Add fruit; stir to coat. Pour into a buttered
- 3-qt. casserole. If desired, pour wine over all. Cover and bake at
- 350° for 50 to 60 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Yield: 12
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 164 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 5 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.