Hot Five-Bean Salad Recipe
This crowd-pleaser is like a German potato salad made with colorful beans. My mom's been preparing this salad for years—it's so simple to create and great to take to church suppers. #151;Angela Leinenbach, Mechanicsville, Virginia
- 8 bacon strips, diced
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- Pinch pepper
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut wax beans, drained
- 1. In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings. Add sugar, cornstarch, salt and pepper to drippings. Stir in vinegar and water; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- 2. Add the beans; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until beans are heated through.
- 3. Place in a serving bowl; top with bacon. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 cup: 233 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 820mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 5g fiber), 7g protein .
Reviews for Hot Five-Bean Salad
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC