Hot Dogs 'n' Rice
When my husband was a child, his mother made this economical entree during the lean times. It never failed to fill up her hungry family. Kids today like it, too.—Susan Martin, Redwood City, California
5 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1-1/2 cups water, divided
- 5 hot dogs, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender.
- Add rice; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Add 1-1/4 cups water and
- hot dogs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25
- minutes. Add the tomatoes, ketchup and remaining water. Cover and
- cook until rice is tender. Yield: 5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 373 calories, 19 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 719 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.