When my husband was a child, his mother made this economical entree during the lean times. It never failed to fill up her hungry family. Kids today like it, too.—Susan Martin, Redwood City, California
Featured In: 30 Grilled Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1-1/2 cups water, divided
- 5 hot dogs, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add rice; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Add 1-1/4 cups water and hot dogs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Add the tomatoes, ketchup and remaining water. Cover and cook until rice is tender. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Hot Dogs 'n' Rice in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p83
Reviews for Hot Dogs 'n' Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 14, 2014
"Nice flavor combination and always a hit! I usually make the hot dog mixture without the rice (omitting water) and serve it over steamed rice. Other than that, I follow the recipe as is."