Hot Dog Soup
"We can always count on our retired pastor for good advice and good recipes, like this thick and hearty soup," shares Kim Holliday of Bellefonte, Pennsylvania. "Chock-full of hot dogs and vegetables, it quickly became my children's favorite."
8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 4 medium carrots, cut into thin strips
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1 pound) hot dogs, halved lengthwise and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute the carrots, potatoes, parsnips and onion
- in butter for 5 minutes. Stir in flour until blended. Add the hot
- dogs, milk, soup, water, basil and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are
- tender, stirring occasionally. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 418 calories, 28 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 968 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 12 g protein.