Hot Dog Soup Recipe
"We can always count on our retired pastor for good advice and good recipes, like this thick and hearty soup," shares Kim Holliday of Bellefonte, Pennsylvania. "Chock-full of hot dogs and vegetables, it quickly became my children's favorite."
- 4 medium carrots, cut into thin strips
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1 pound) hot dogs, halved lengthwise and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the carrots, potatoes, parsnips and onion in butter for 5 minutes. Stir in flour until blended. Add the hot dogs, milk, soup, water, basil and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 418 calories, 28 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 968 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC