Hot Dog Pie
"I received this recipe from a co-worker who loves hot dogs," writes Amy Bullis of Henryville, Pennsylvania. "It's a big hit for family get-togethers. It's so convenient, I usually double this recipe and put one pie in the freezer for times when we need a fast meal.
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 4 hot dogs, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
- 1 can (16 ounces) baked beans
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 unbaked deep-dish pastry shell (9 inches)
- 4 slices American cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. Add the hot dogs, beans, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard and
- cheese cubes. Cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, prick pastry shell with a fork. Bake at 400° for 10
- minutes. Fill with hot beef mixture. Cut each cheese slice into four
- strips; make a lattice topping over pie. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or
- until cheese is melted. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 487 calories, 27 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 1,321 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 21 g protein.