- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Red and green liquid food coloring
- 3 tablespoons flaked coconut
- Yellow decorating frosting
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar. Beat in flour and vanilla. Remove 1 cup dough; add red food coloring and knead until well combined. Cover and refrigerate remaining dough for 1 hour.
- For hot dogs, divide red dough into 16 portions. Shape into 2-1/2-in. logs and round the ends; set aside. Divide plain dough into 16 portions. Shape into 3-in. logs; make a very deep lengthwise groove in each. Smooth edges to form buns. Place 3 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Place hot dogs in buns.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool.
- For pickle relish, place coconut in a plastic bag; sprinkle 1-2 drops of green food coloring into bag and shake until color is evenly distributed. Sprinkle over hot dogs. For mustard, pipe a stripe of yellow frosting down the center of each. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Hot Dog Cookies in Quick Cooking July/August 2000, p48
Reviews for Hot Dog Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 5, 2011
"I love the design...and will definatley use that idea again. But the sugar cookie recipe was one of the tasteless recipes I have ever tried in a sugar cookie."