These crowd-pleasing cookies, shaped like miniature hot dogs in buns, are plump with possibilities. Add time-easing toppings such as green-tinted coconut for "relish" and yellow frosting for "mustard."
Recommended: 21 Recipes Inspired By Iconic Summer Movies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Red and green liquid food coloring
- 3 tablespoons sweetened shredded coconut
- Yellow decorating frosting
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar. Beat in flour and vanilla. Remove 1 cup dough; add red food coloring and knead until well combined. Cover and refrigerate remaining dough for 1 hour.
- For hot dogs, divide red dough into 16 portions. Shape into 2-1/2-in. logs and round the ends; set aside. Divide plain dough into 16 portions. Shape into 3-in. logs; make a very deep lengthwise groove in each. Smooth edges to form buns. Place 3 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Place hot dogs in buns.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool.
- For pickle relish, place coconut in a plastic bag; sprinkle 1-2 drops of green food coloring into bag and shake until color is evenly distributed. Sprinkle over hot dogs. For mustard, pipe a stripe of yellow frosting down the center of each. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Hot Dog Cookies in Quick Cooking July/August 2000 , p48
Reviews for Hot Dog Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review