Hot Dog Casserole Recipe
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 5 medium red potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 package (1 pound) hot dogs, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- In a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer with a third of the potatoes, half of the hot dogs and half of the onion. Repeat layers. Top with remaining potatoes. Pour white sauce over all.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Hot Dog Casserole(13)
Sort By :
Very good and simple. Flavor would obviously change with each type/brand of hot dog used.
Unbelievably awesome flavor....a real hit with my family! I used a whole onion, chopped; otherwise no changes. Definitely would make again.
Surprisingly this was really good. I'm not the kind of person to go for dishes with hot dogs but this was pretty good. I think I might try chicken next time, but hot dogs are good in a pinch or if limited on money. I added garlic salt instead of salt and added a little onion powder since my daughter isn't a fan. I will prolly make again.
This was great! I had potatos I didn't know what to do with and this was perfect. I cut everything in half because there was two of us. I softened the onion in the butter and used non fat milk because its all i had. It still thinkened up nicely. Definately a keeper!
This recipe was delicious and everyone who tried it liked it a lot! I tried skimming down on some of the fat and calories by using skim milk, reduced fat cheese, and 97% fat free beef hot dogs. The result was creamy, delicious, full of flavor, and everyone had second helpings.