Hot Dog Casserole Recipe
When our children were small and I was busy trying to get all those extra things done that are part of a mom's normal schedule, I would make this quick hot dish. Kids love it.—JoAnn Gunio, Franklin, North Carolina
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 5 medium red potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 package (1 pound) hot dogs, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- 2. In a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer with a third of the potatoes, half of the hot dogs and half of the onion. Repeat layers. Top with remaining potatoes. Pour white sauce over all.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 334 calories, 24 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 975 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC